Re: [oletrucks] Water Jacket Welding; Parking/Headlights

To: jeastman@appliedtheory.com, oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Water Jacket Welding; Parking/Headlights
From: jvanho01@tir.com
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:56:26 -0500
Although not an oletruck nor a block, I did get both heads welded (between
intake and exhaust valves) on my 1968 Buick GS400 engine.  I would think
that in order to get your block welded you will have to strip it down to
nothing on or in it, in other words bare, bare, bare.  The reason for this
is they must heat the head (block) to 2000 degrees and then weld it while
it is this hot.  They then put blankets on it to slow the cool rate.  It is
my understanding that it must cool slowly, like over a period of 24 hours,
in order for the weld to hold.  Since having this done, I have but a whole
season of driving, and not always easy, on the engine and still have not
problems with them.  It cost me about $175 a head including valve job and
hardened seats. Good luck.

Jim V.
'58 GMC Suburban Carrier Pickup - V8 Automatic