Re: [oletrucks] Trucks:Rear End Ratios

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Trucks:Rear End Ratios
From: SHAWN & JO <YOOPERWANNABE@PRODIGY.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:58:55 -0500
Roger,
        There are a couple of different methods to determine your rear ratio.
If you just need a general idea of the ratio, you can block one tire and
jack the other tire up. Place a chalk mark on the tire ad rotate it 360
degrees while counting the rotations of the pinion. You shoud get
somewhere in the range of 2.5 to 5 turns. If the pinion turns 4 times
you would have a 4-1 gear ratio, a little over 4, may 4.10 - 1 ratio,
etc.
        For a more precise number you can remove the reare cover and divide the
teeth on the pinion into the teeth on the ring gear. example...11 teeth
on the pinion, 44 on the ring gear and you are at the 4-1 ratio again.
This will work in finding out any ratio.
        good luck
shawn
51 chevy 1 ton panel