RE: [oletrucks] VIN Numbers

To: Terry Stellman <stellman@noex.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] VIN Numbers
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:19:44 -0800
An update on my VIN problem:

In the last installment you may remember that I had changed engines 20+
years ago and not bothered to update the title. At that time, one applied
for a change of engine number (which was the VIN prior to 1953, I learned
yesterday-- at least in Washington State) using a form provided for that
purpose. Since the engine number change process is no longer done I was
stumped, afraid that by beloved PU might be confiscated by some overzelous
official.

Well, you'll all be glad to know that it turned out to be a non-event,
except for the time spent on "hold" or lost in the voice-mail labyrinth and
two trips to the State Patrol. It did cost $34.10 for the title work, though.

I first contacted the Dept. of Licensing in the state capital. They
directed me to have the truck inspected by the State Patrol. I went to the
State Patrol inspection station and talked to the oldest guy there,
explaning what I'd done and what I wanted to have happen. He assured me
that they would inspect the truck and issue a new VIN based on the frame
number. I said nothing about my suspicions that there was no such thing.

A week later, on the same day of the week at about the same time of day, I
brought the truck for inspection. The younger cop asked my why I wanted to
do this if I wasn't selling the truck and I gave several reasons relating
to insurance and wanting to have everything straight by-the-book, etc.
Then he began wiping off the engine number, at which point I said that I
planned to swap that engine for a V-8 soon. The older cop came by and said,
"don't use the engine number, that'll never show up anywhere, use the
number on the door post."

 Hooray!!!

I now have VIN #   6   JS    F   1616    on both the truck and the title.

-Tom Allen

At 12:27 PM 2/23/99 -0600, Terry Stellman wrote:

>It could be only 8 characters long if the production number of the truck
is less than 10,000.  See
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/rusty1/numbers.htm for an explanation of
vin's.

>Terry Stellman