Re: [oletrucks] Can anyone HELP!

To: Carl Cooley <carcooley@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Can anyone HELP!
From: THE REIDS <reidx4@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 16:03:35 -0800

Carl Cooley wrote:

>    Now to my questions.  On the engine by the dist. is a number.  It is
> C24847169   On the post of the door is Serial Number  102-22-S-2763 .  I
> beleive this is the original engine.  Truck is solid and unbutchered
> except for a now old coat of paint.  Also the interior was gone from the
> heat in the southwest.  I have the inside redone.  If anyone can give me
> any informationon the date and location of the build of my truck I'd
> appeciate it.    Thanks
>
> Carl    51 GMC  ( Got it out and ran up and down the driveway today!)

  OK, here's more.
I checked my owners manual (this and the maintenance manual are reprints
available from most vendors and more than worth the price), all the 100
series models (101 & 102) all have a gross vehicle weight of 4,800 pounds.
Series 150 are 5,800 pounds, therefore 102 must be a long bed 1/2 ton.
Other things:
rear axle raio 4.11
248       displacement 248.5 cu.in.
            bore 3 23/32"
            stroke 3 13/16"
            compression 7.5:1
            S.A.E. horsepower 33.19
            Max recommended RPM 3400

for those of us with the stock 228
            displacement 228 cu.in.
            bore 3 9/16"
            stroke 3 13/16"
            compression 8:1
            horsepower 30.45
            Max RPM 3400

now I have a quesion.  The two motors are different, with the larger being
20.5 cu. in. bigger.
The horsepower is barely different, why is that.
the 228 has a higher compression, is that because of the smaller bore?
I've heard a higher compression is better, why?
Jim Reid
'53 GMC 101-22 with a 228