Re: [oletrucks] Can anyone HELP!

To: "THE REIDS" <reidx4@gte.net>, "Carl Cooley" <carcooley@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Can anyone HELP!
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 21:16:11 -0500
Note the horsepower ratings used by GMC were SAE net ratings. I have no idea
why this was the case, but the 228 was closer to 100 hp using the more
common gross rating. So the 248 has about 10% more HP, which is about right.
An equal mystery is why GMC did not list torque ratings in those days,
because torque is where a GMC shines.

The 228 and the 248 use the exact same head and valves, so the slightly
larger combustion chamber of the 248 results in a bit lower compression.

Higher compression ratio is indeed better, because it directly increases
torque. I am sure someone can offer a more erudite explanation, but the
bottom line is, you can feel it in the seat of your pants, and with your
right foot, too. Racers always increase compression to the ragged edge, but
they have access to super high octane racing fuel. About 9.5:1 is the limit
on pump gas these days. Though some very high tech motorcycle engines are
back up around 11.5:1 using multi-valve heads.

Jack / Winter Park FL