Re: [oletrucks] Points>>>HEI Conversion

To: "Tim Seawolf-Self" <tim@Route66AutoClub.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Points>>>HEI Conversion
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 05:33:21 -0700
The "number-one" terminal will be determined by how the distributor is
sitting in the truck.  I have never been able to get one back in exactly as
it came out, so I always have to do the following:
1) Pull the plug on the number one cylinder.
2) Place you thumb over the hole and have someone bump it over until you
can feel pressure against your thumb (it will blow it off of the hole).
Check for top-dead-center using a piece of wire.
3) Once the number one cylinder is a TDC, pull the cap of off the
distributor and determine which tower the rotor is pointed at, this will be
your number one tower (depending on how much advance you have).
Be very careful doing any of this, a spinning fan, or hot exhaust pipe can
ruin your day.  Make sure you pull the coil before you start, so it doesn't
cause any problems.  Also be sure to leave enough room in the distributors
rotation to put in any advance you will need (if it is close to the fire
wall, the terminal block may not let you turn it far enough).  Good luck
with it.  You may want towait and see if someone knows of a better way.
The method I use is time consuming and frustrating at times.  If someone
knows of a better way, I am all ears.  Take care.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco