Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?

To: architectmsu@yahoo.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 17:15:17 EDT
In a message dated 4/16/99 10:01:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

<< bj:   [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
 Date:  4/16/99 10:01:03 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  architectmsu@yahoo.com (wayne sellers)
 Sender:        owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net
 To:    oletrucks@autox.team.net

 Hello,

 I am new to the list.  I recently bought a 1959 Apache 3/4 ton 2WD.
 The guy I bought it from took the original motor and tranny out of it
 (with only 80,000 some odd miles on them!  ARRRGGGHHH!), because it
 wasn't running good.  He proceeded to replace them with a 350 and
 automatic tranny from an '86 El Camino.

 The truck has the original 4.57:1 rear end under it.  Needless to say
 it sounds a little wound up at about 40 mph and screams at 50mph.

 Damage being done by losing the original motor and trans, I think I
 will just leave the 350 in it, but am afraid that I will burn the
 tranny up trying to push those low gears.

 Does anyone have any suggestions as to a later model manual trans that
 I could put back in to better accomodate the gear ratio?

 As I said earlier I'm new to the list (and the old truck process) but
 am ready and willing to listen and learn.  Any info would be helpful
 and greatly appreciated!

 Thanks in advance,
      Wayne >>

  Wayne,

  You really have only two options that require the least amount of fabbing.
One would be to use a 700R4 tranny (4spd auto with .70 OD) or change the
rearend to a higher (lower numericall) geared rearend.

  You could also go with an overdirive manual transmission, but more work is
required, or get a overdrive unit (Gear Vendors come to mind) to bolt on to
the TH350 you have now, but the cost is around 2K for the unit.

  Good luck,

  Mike