Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?

To: "Bruce Ford" <Booomie@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:15:38 -0700
The 700R-4 is the 4L80.  GM came out with the TH-700R-4 in the early 1980's
(1982 if I am remembering my GM history).  It is similar to the old TH-400,
but with a  lock-up torque converter for the added fourth gear. In about
1990 GM added the 4L60 designation,  as far as I know there were no
physical changes to the transmission.  In about 1992 or 1993 they added
electronic control and it became the 4L60E and the 4L80E, I have been told
that the difference between these two is mainly shift points and the torque
converter.  The 700R-4 is a very strong transmission, but you have to take
a few precautions with the earlier transmissions:  1) You must not tow in
Over-drive.  2) You must change the filter and fluid on a regular basis. 3)
And it is a VERY good idea to add an extra transmission cooler.

Much of the "bad rep" that these transmissions got was from the early
models where dealers failed to emphasize (and owners failed to read) the
owners manual.  The 4Lx0E models helped this in that they won't allow you
to tow in OD.  It locks out OD anytime it senses a load.  GM also added
better trany coolers in the later vehicles.  I have two of these tranys
(both with 120K+ miles) and they still shift solid and allow me to get 17
to 18 mpg on the highway.  One of the transmissions (in my 88 GMC K1500)
has over 40K miles of heavy towing (5900lb. camper and 8000lb. car trailer)
on it without anything more than normal fluid and filter changes.  To kill
an early model, all you have to do is tow with it in OD for about an hour,
and it will cost you about $1500 if you don't catch it in time.

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco

----------
<oletrucks@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '59 Chevy 3/4 ton tranny?
> Date: Saturday, April 17, 1999 11:32 AM
>
> Another option, besides the 700, would be a 4L80 or 4L80E, which is
basically a TH400 with an overdrive.  The is an electronic controlled.
They are much more durable than the 700s.  Everyone I talk to say that the
700s will break no matter what you do to them.  Just another option.
Also, in rebuilding my rear for my monte carlo, I was able to replace the
axles, posi unit, ring and pinion for all under $1000.  So that might be
another good option.

> Just some thoughts....
> Bruce
>
> Bob bdfentr wrote:
>
> > If you want to stick (is that a pun?) with an automatic, you might try
a Chevy 700R4. It is the one that is used with the Suburbans, etc and is an
overdrive automatic. If you want to go with a standard, track down all the
parts and pieces needed for a clutch (read as LOTS of work) and go with a
98/98 5 speed from a 3/4 ton Chevy/GMC. The 5 speed has a somewhat compound
low for stump pulling and the 5th gear is an overdrive. Any other regular 3
or 4 speed transmissions are a 1 to 1 ratio in high gear and you would gain
nothing. The other options might to be getting a 3:23 or a 3:55 ring an
pinion replacement. This would give you more of a car rear end as far as
the final drive ratio goes. You might even be able to turn 70 MPH at
2500RPM if you were to put in a 3:08 rear end ring and pinion. At any
option you might be better off money and sense wise going to a shop and
having the ring and pinion replaced. Good Luck...Bob Fentress