Re: [oletrucks] '57 hinge pocket replacement question

To: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '57 hinge pocket replacement question
From: Bill Bailey <billb@gamewood.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:34:53 -0400
At 12:23 PM 4/21/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi group:
>
>My 57 suburban needs a new drivers side, door pillar, lower half,
>hinge pocket face.  The existing hinge pocket was filled with dirt
>and rusted the lower hinge mounting hole. Then the previous owner
>blasted it with a torch and just ruined it.  The upper half of the
>hinge pocket face is good as new - it's just that lower bolt hole
>that is gone and twisted.  The rest of the door pillar is stellar as
>is the step pocket.  I have called around to get a patch panel.
>Several places had them repro.  My instincts tell me to go with a
>solid original cut from an old cab.  I am worried that the gauge and
>contours of the repro part will be inferior to the original 1957
>metal.
>
>Any comments?  Any advice?
>Thanks ya'll.
>Eric Pesci

I have used a repro hinge pocket on my 57's passenger door for over a year
with no complaints. I have seen quite a few cabs around here in the
junkyard but I've never seen one that had a solid lower hinge pocket, I
think the muck that gathers there rots them out.
Bill Bailey
http://members.tripod.com/~oltruck