Re: [oletrucks] '57 hinge pocket replacement question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '57 hinge pocket replacement question
From: CyrusR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:18:07 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/99 12:55:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
varanus@mail.phoenix.net writes:

> Hi group:
>
>  My 57 suburban needs a new drivers side, door pillar, lower half,
>  hinge pocket face.  The existing hinge pocket was filled with dirt
>  and rusted the lower hinge mounting hole. Then the previous owner
>  blasted it with a torch and just ruined it.  The upper half of the
>  hinge pocket face is good as new - it's just that lower bolt hole
>  that is gone and twisted.  The rest of the door pillar is stellar as
>  is the step pocket.  I have called around to get a patch panel.
>  Several places had them repro.  My instincts tell me to go with a
>  solid original cut from an old cab.  I am worried that the gauge and
>  contours of the repro part will be inferior to the original 1957
>  metal.
>
>  Any comments?  Any advice?
>  Thanks ya'll.
>  Eric Pesci
Eric,
I bought a driver's side door hinge pocket face from Heavy Chevy and was very
pleased with it.  I didn't notice any significant difference between it and
the original hinge pocket on the other side of the truck.  I doubt that
anyone else will either, after it's painted.  The way the original door hinge
post is spot welded together would make it tough to take apart an original
without damage.  All in all, I'm very happy with the repro.

Randy Underwood
CyrusR@aol.com
Springdale, AR
‘57 1/2 Ton