Re: [oletrucks] are 261's rare???

To: <varanus@mail.phoenix.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] are 261's rare???
From: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:00:07 -0400
I'm sure we will hear from Ralph "ChevySix" on this thread but here's my .02
worth. The 261 is indeed a nice motor and many were swapped into Chevy cars
in the 50's and 60's. I had never heard that they were an option for light
trucks, but as a 261 is a direct bolt-in replacement for the 235, I'm sure
some dealers did a few of these upgrades.

As to their rarity, it's probably a symptom of the "crush it" mindset. When
a big truck wears out, all that metal is worth a good chunk of cash for
scrap. And the motors go too. They can be found, but just like the big GMC
inlines, you may have do a lot of searching. Of course we Inliners are
hoarding the majority of them....

Jack / Winter Park FL