Re: [oletrucks] are 261's rare???

To: "jack halton" <safesix@worldnet.att.net>, <varanus@mail.phoenix.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] are 261's rare???
From: "Ralph Linnell" <ChevySix@seatac.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:44:34 -0700
The '58 thru "62 261's are getting harder to find. They have the 1/2 inch
oil galleys and most of them have "full flow" oil systems. I have not
searched the whole country but at least here in the Pacific Northwest they
are getting a little scarce. I am currently rebuilding one, just got all
"innards" back from the shop that does the balancing for me, yesterday. I
got the block and head back from the machine shop today and spent most of
the day washing the block with good old dish washing soap and water. After
drying it out good with the air hose and spraying it with rust inhibitor, I
hope to start the assembly early next week.

The point is that  looked in all the wrecking yards and did not find a
single 261. I finally got this one from Buffalo at Buffalo Enterprises, a
fellow Inliner.  I had to sleeve one cylinder and the block was as good as
new.

At the same time I am installing a 700 R4 to go behind the 261.

Ralph Linnell

"ChevySix"
ChevySix@seatac.net
http://www.seatac.net/chevysix/
Inliners International Membership Chairman
Inliner # 2132