RE: [oletrucks] Harbor Freight

To: "'ROGER GLEASON'" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Harbor Freight
From: Tom Burt <tburt@hirose.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 08:55:33 -0700
Thanks Roger,
After hearing that one, I'll steer clear of H/F's floor jacks.
Your story is exactly why I am afraid of using some of these tools.  I
shudder to think what would happen if I were to try and "slowly" lower my
truck onto a set of jack stands.

To have my Chevy come crashing down on jack stands could result in:

a.) jack stand shooting out from under it sending the truck careening to
one side - possibly injuring me.
b.) jack stand jumping to one side and punching a hole through the the
truck body or bed - possibly injuring me.
c.) floor jack not holding its pressure and slamming to the ground while
setting the jack stands in place - possibly injuring me.

No thanks.  I'll pay an extra $100 to $200 in the name of safety.

The Asian market is extremely competitive and many these tools are
substandard.  Harbor Frieght is expanding and in doing so is trying to sell
large volumes of this stuff at unbelievably low prices.  The of course is
for one purpose only - to capture the US market.

So, please be careful folks.  Don't compromise safety just to save a few
bucks.  Examine the tool carefully before you buy.  Don't need maimed
oletruckers!

Tom B. '57 Stepside 3200