[oletrucks] transmission problems

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] transmission problems
From: "Joe Clark" <jclark1@utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:52:41 -0400
Got my truck up and running.  Engine runs great but I have some
transmission noise.  The first transmission I had on it shifted great
but 2nd gear was very noisy.  Whined and made a rattling sound
when stressed.  I had another transmission so I put that one on.
This one drives great but grinds when I shift on the fly.  My guess
is a worn synchronizer assembly.

How difficult is it to replace the synchronizers?  The ones in my
spare tranny are apparently good but  I hesitate to tear into it,
especially since it looks like I need some special tools.  Would I
be better off trying to fix the one with the bad 2nd gear?  I don't see
any missing teeth.  Could it be a linkage problem (I tried 2 different
side covers with the same result so I don't think it's linkage).  I
seem to remember a thread pertaining to using STP in the
transmission but this seems like a short term solution.

Any help will be appreciated.  (I would rather not switch trannies at
all as this is not a fun job!).  Thanks.
Joe

Joe Clark
'50 3100 Deluxe
Knoxville, Tennessee