RE: [oletrucks] Engine questions

To: MIKE RAHL <MRAHL@martinmartin.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Engine questions
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:36:48 -0700
Antonio,

All is not lost if the pistons don't exactly match the 0.030 over bores. If
the bore for a particlar piston is too small you should hone it to fit.
Assuming you have no bore mic. the time honored method of checking bore
size is with a long feeler inserted at 90 deg. to the wrist pin along the
skirt of the piston. When it requires a 3 to 4 lb. pull to remove, the
clearance is as etched  on the feeler.

If the piston is too small for the bore, have it knurled and carefully file
the knurling until you get the result with the feeler as above. Many racers
used to knurl new pistons as a matter of course claiming that
irregularities in the surface trapped oil and prevented scuffing of the
skirt and improved the sealing.

As long as you're building the engine, you might look into "Total Seal"
piston rings. I have had good experience  with these. The will reduce
cylinder leakage to so close to zero that you can't tell the difference.
They're a little spendy however.

Don't forget to balance the parts and the crank, you'll be glad you did.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

Tom Allen
Seattle, WA