[oletrucks] Machine Shop Frustration (Be advised this is long)

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Machine Shop Frustration (Be advised this is long)
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 11:03:19 -500
I've held off my comments until some other folks replied so I could
weight their views and found I couldn't hold off any
longer...
Mike...I do not know you or Jim, but it seems that sometimes we may
come off in the wrong way even though we don't mean to... If you
don't believe me visit New england sometime and try to get a
conversation going with any native new englander ( Now I know I'm
going to get a lot of hate mail for saying that but the fact remains
We New Englanders are not always the friendliest of people) Maybe it
was the time of day or that things just were not going right with Jim
at the time. But before we say more did you tell him that the reason
you bought the tool was for him to use as you stated? And did
you tell him that the valve stem height is critical and the reason
why...on the particular heads you were bringing him? Not knowing the
situation or the tone of voice makes deciding who is right and who is
wrong a difficult decision.
The reason I'm interjecting here is that I had trouble with a
particular job that was done at my favorite Repair Shop and when I
questioned the owner I was made to feel like the deficiency in
workmanship was my fault... I left the place dejected and mad
and thinking that I would not be back. However I soon needed some
other specialized work done that they had done to my and others
satisfaction and do every day and are the only ones in the
area that I trust to do this work, so I scheduled them to do
it...They not only did a nice job but they gave me a discount.. I
found out later that they were not mad at me but at the mechanic whom
they had hired recently... apparently he did not have the
qualifications stated in the references he brought with him and after
continually making excuses for him my repair was the last
straw...Needless to say they now have a qualified experienced
mechanic or at least when I  bring my car there the owner personally
does the repair. We now get along very well and they appreciate my
business.
Nuff said! maybe not...
Mike, maybe you could try it again but explain where you're coming
from first It would be a shame to let a good machine shop get away
because of one minor misunderstanding... Also remember that a
properly trained machinist might take offense with someone telling
him how to do his job, as would anyone .
Sorry this was so long just thought I'd make a point...I hope
everything works out OK.
Rogerg
51-3100-AD Stocker