Re: [oletrucks] Machine Shop Frustration (Be advised this is long)

To: rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Machine Shop Frustration (Be advised this is long)
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 19:33:54 EDT
In a message dated 08/25/1999 9:01:50 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu writes:

<<  But before we say more did you tell him that the reason
 you bought the tool was for him to use as you stated? And did
 you tell him that the valve stem height is critical and the reason
 why...on the particular heads you were bringing him? Not knowing the
 situation or the tone of voice makes deciding who is right and who is
 wrong a difficult decision. >>

Yes, I calmly explained to him that I bought the tool to check the stem
height on a set of 425 heads that had been screwed up by another machine shop
(machinist fired shortly thereafter, parts store closed machine shop, then
parts store went broke), and since I had it, I figured he could use it on my
403 heads. The conversation really didn't get much farther than that, as he
kept saying that he could see that it wasn't going to be a good job from his
point of view. I tried to reassure him by saying that I had a good feeling
about his work, but that didn't help. He pretty much kept going back to his
feeling that the job wasn't one that he wanted to do. He did tell me that
another machine shop in the area is willing to do "that sort of racing, or
blueprinting, work". At that point I felt like asking him how he figured that
making sure the valve stems were set according to the Oldsmobile Shop Manual
amounted to blueprinting, but I could tell that I wasn't going to get
anywhere with logic. I also considered asking him if he would be willing to
do the job without the tool, but a little voice told me that there's
something inherently wrong when a machinist refuses to do work to the
standards set by the manufacturer. I still feel that way. I'd really like to
know why he feels the measurement doesn't need to be checked, and how he
would have done the job if I hadn't brought the tool, but he's NOT a
reasonable man.
Thanks for your concern, and for giving me a chance to clarify.

Mike Jensen