Re: [oletrucks] Front springs installation

To: "Stephen" <slb1@humboldt1.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Front springs installation
From: Thomas Allen <thomasa@halcyon.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:55:10 -0700
Tighten the U-bolts. They will work loose as the spring assembly settles
in. This causes the axle to move back and forth making it hard to drive.
Same holds true for the rear. You might have to tighten them more than
once. U-bolts will also stretch when trucks are run empty over rough roads,
which leads to the same symptom.

-Tom Allen
51 3800

At 04:56 PM 9/4/99 -0700, Stephen wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have just replaced the front leaf springs, bushings and shackles on my '58
>1/2 ton.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get good alignment of the
>axle?  It seems there is a bit of play in exactly where the u-bolts locate
>the axle.  My steering wheel is about 80 degrees off of center and the truck
>pulls slightly to the right.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Stephen
>'50 Suburban