Re: [oletrucks] Modifications for '53

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Modifications for '53
From: SHAWN & JO <YOOPERWANNABE@PRODIGY.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:09:56 -0400
Rob,
        I spent more like $40 but I rewired the entire truck and it was fairly
easy. The trick is to have a wiring diagram from the manual. I just ran
one wire or one group of wire at a time. I had such an unsafe rats nest
of splices and hanging wire that I had to redo it and with my budget it
had to be cheap. I got my wire at a place called Autozone. They were by
far much cheaper than everyone else and had a good selection of colors.
At least 4 different colors. Napa also has a couple of extra different
colors if you want more than that, but Napa is LOTS more expensive. Like
$4.50 compared to $2.00. Shop around, prices vary widely.
        I also made my own wiring diagram with the different colors and gauges
of wire that I ran to various places. Like I said, it was a simple
affair. I ran the same gauge as what was listed in the manual although
the gauges probably could all be stepped down one size when converting
to 12volts. 12Volts doesn't need as heavy a wire as 6Volt. I even
stepped up a gauge for the brake & turn wiring so I could branch off for
trailer wiring.
Shawn 51 Chevy 1 ton panel