Re: [oletrucks] GMC Rearend

To: Passnb4U@aol.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC Rearend
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:34:24 EST
In a message dated 11/29/99 5:48:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu writes:

> > Date:          Fri, 27 Aug 1999 05:14:46 -0700
>  > From:          Dave Thomas <dthomas@series2000.com>
>  > To:            Chevy Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
>  > Subject:       [oletrucks] GMC Rearend
>
>  >
>  > Hello to all,
>  >
>  > I hope someone can help me out.  I am trying to change the seals on a
>  > '54 GMC rearend.  It has 10 bolts on the rear cover.  I took the cover
>  > off, but can't seem to find any "C" clips as are so often discussed when
>  >
>  > doing this on a Chevy rearend.  Does anyone know how to change the seals
>  >
>  > on a GMC?
>  >
>  > Thanks Much,
>  >
>  > Dave Thomas
>  > '54 3100
>  >

  This may have been mentioned before but....

  I've run 3 different GMC rearends, one 10 bolt from a '55-'59 GMC 1/2 ton
(not sure of the year, the frontend was missing), one 12 bolt from a '62 GMC
and a 10 bolt from a '64 GMC.  All three of these rearends did not have "C"
clips, the axle bearings were pressed on the axles, and a retainer plate
bolted to the inside of the brake backing plate, the same bolts that head the
backing plate to the axle tubes, hold the retainer plate in.

  Once the nuts were removed from the studs, you could pull the axles out.
These are sealed bearings, then just inside the axle tube are the axle seals.

  I'm not sure if your's is like this, but since you don't have "C" clips,
I'm guessing it is.

Mike