Re: [oletrucks] GMC Rearend

To: "Dave Thomas" <dthomas@series2000.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC Rearend
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:57:38 -0500
Dave,

    Chevy and GMC rear ends are the same. There is a pinion lock screw on
the right side of the carrier. When you remove it  the pinion shaft and
spacer block are free to come out. Then push the axles in and you can see
the C-clips. Try not to disturb the spider gears (i.e., don't rotate the
diff once the spacer is removed) or you will have a zen-like experience
getting them back in.

    Once the axles are out check the area where the seal contacts the axle.
If you have pitting or even a witness mark, the seal will soon be leaking
again, ruining your new brake shoes. Victor makes a stainless repair sleeve
that will correct this. NAPA also should have these sleeves under their
number, about $28 per axle.

Jack / Winter Park FL