Re: [oletrucks] '48 Vs Y2K update

To: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] '48 Vs Y2K update
From: J & M Street <jmstreet@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:26:17 -0800
Hi Mike. Before pulling the head I suggest towing the truck to a shop and having
a "leak down test" done on it. It's done by blowing a regulated amount of
compressed air into each cylinder and monitoring how much and more importantly
WHERE the air escapes. For instance; bubbles in the radiator would indicate a
blown head gasket, or cracked head/block. Out the carb- bad intake valve. Out
the
tail pipe- bad exhaust valve. Out the crank case vent- bad rings. You get the
idea. You can do it yourself using the fitting from a compression gauge and a
regulated air source but it's much safer to have a shop do it. Just my 2 cents
on
the subject.- Jeff

Jeff Street -Seattle, WA
'55-2 short/step "Street's rod project"