Re: [oletrucks] 454-502 big blocks

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 454-502 big blocks
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 1980 21:18:56 -0500
Hi all,
I don't know what trucks may have had a 502 v-8. Most of the large Chevys &
GMCs I worked on had 396 and 427 engines. In a large truck you want more
torque to get the load moving.

In the '50s GMC used a 503 straight 6 gas engine, like the smaller 6s it was
bigger on torque than high revving. They were governed at a max of 2800 rpm.

I gotta brag on the old trucks though, my '52 GMC 640 (503) will accelerate
faster than my dept's '75 Chevy C50 (427) with the same load.

As for the 500 Caddy engine, speaking as a mechanic, it is the best designed
of all of GMs V-8s. It is balanced so well it does not have a harmonic
balancer.

It was originally designed to have every accessory on it, so it wasn't a
maze of brackets. You can change the timing chain on one of these engines
without removing any accessory bracket. I could change three water pumps on
a caddy in the time it would take to do one on an Oldsmobile(GM's worst
designed V-8).

It had an external oil pump that could be replaced without pulling the pan.
The front mounted distributor was easy to get to and was cooled by the fan
to prolong the life of the electronics (almost never replaced the module on
a caddy). The fuel pump couldn't wear down the lobe on the cam as it didn't
run off the camshaft, but off a separate drive lobe bolted to the timing
gear.

One of the reasons that the caddy got good milage was the rear end ratio, it
was around 2.50. That big old engine could squall the tires, but at highway
speed was turnin over pretty slow. It really depended on how you drove one,
Little old lady= 20mpg, Easy take offs=14 mpg, Stop light racer=7mpg.

Thats all I can recall right now, I can just say they are a real breeze to
work on.

John
'49 Chevy 3800 Panel (235)
'52 GMC 640 Firetruck (503)