[oletrucks] Starters

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Starters
From: "Kevin Stewart" <stewartk@MBnet.MB.CA>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:36:09 -0600
I am having some difficulty in getting a completely machine shop rebuilt 235
engine started.  I had it fired up for about 15 seconds but have not had
much luck since.  Occassionally, the engine will fire, but not really start.
I am still running 6volts and would prefer to stay that way.  When the
engine is cracking it turns slowly enough that you can see the blades of the
fan turning. At one point in each revolution, the fan blades actual seem to
slow down.

I have had all sorts of advice ranging from: 1) all rebuilt engines are
tight; 2) tow it to start it, 3) once you get it going and it loosens up it
will start easier, 4) put in a four field starter.

I have three questions.

1.  When cranking how fast should I expect the engine to turn over?  For
example is one revolution of the fan blade per second about right?

2.  How much will starting improve if I install a four field starter?

3.  When cranking, how frequently should I see a spark at the number one
spark plug?

Yes, I have new plugs, wires, points, condensor, rotor.  The spark is strong
out of the condensor to distributor wire, but not as strong at the spark
plugs.  The carburator is leaking almost as much as a sieve and this could
be part of the problem why it won't continue to run.

Kevin
'52 1/2 ton.