[oletrucks] conversion to automatic

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] conversion to automatic
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:49:03 -0700
Looks like most of your questions have been answered, for the most
part...

To tell a TH350, look for a square pan with one corner cut off.  It will
have a vacuum modulator at the back of the main part of the case.  There
will be a detent cable attatchement near the filler tube.  The extension
housing is held on with 4 bolts.  Later model versions (starting about
1980) had a lock up torque converter, which gets it's signal from a
plastic connector with 4 contact positions in it.

To tell a TH400, look for a funky shaped pan.  It will have the vacuum
modulator on the passenger side, near the front.  It will not have a
detent cable, but instead will have a male electrical connector with one
or two 14" spade terminals sticking out the drivers side.  The extension
housing is held on with 6 bolts.  Later model versions may have a lockup
torque converter, but I'm not too familar with these, so I won't say for
certain.

There is also a TH250, which looks like a TH350, but has a front band
adjuster on the outside...it has no intermediate clutch, and is weaker
than the TH350, so don't put one behind a big motor.  Usually used in
late 70s-mid 80s cars with small v-8s.

The TH200 looks kind of like a 350, but it is smaller, and the pan is
like a rectangle with one corner cut off, and says "METRIC" on it.  It
has NO vacuum modulator.  Avoid this tranny like the plague!

You can leave the crossmember in, or take it out.  I have left it in my
trucks, but the tranny is not easy to remove from below....I usually
take the engine out to work on the tranny...but then I work on the
engines more often than the trannys, so it's not a big deal.  If you are
just doing the tranny conversion, BE SURE you have SIDE mounts on the
engine, NOT front mounts, or the engine/tranny will go all over the
place!  You will probably have to install an aftermarket crossmember, or
individual side mounts, if the truck has the original front V-8 mount
setup.  note that original 55-56 and some 57 engines do not have the
place to bolt the side mounts...so don't attempt to put in a later
automatic with an original 265 v-8.

Jim