Re: [oletrucks] AD Crew Cab Questions

To: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD Crew Cab Questions
From: Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 16:20:01 -0800 (PST)
In the may 1999 issue of Street Rodder is a 48 crew
cab truck.  It actually started life as a 51 GMC 10
ton fire truck.  Apparently Chevy built these cabs
with suicide rear doors (actually front doors
reversed) for industrial applications.  This owner
built his as a 1/2 ton hot rodded truck and it looks
wonderful.  I hope this helps answer your question.

Byron

--- B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net> wrote:
> I ran across something interesting earlier today.  I
> was at the local Chevy
> dealer, (Ranger Chevrolet in Hibbing, MN) and he had
> some old pictures
> hanging on the wall.  One was a very good side on
> view of an AD crew cab
> truck that they sold back then to one of the local
> mining companies.  I
> don't know them well enough to tell the year at a
> glance, but it was
> pre-54.  Judging from the tire size and ground
> clearance, it would have
> been either a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.  With the extended
> cab, it had what
> appeared to be a stock short box from a half ton.  I
> asked the manager
> about it, and he said it was a custom order from an
> aftermarket supplier,
> not a factory option, but other than that, he didn't
> know much about it.
> It appeared to be very nicely done.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm sure the truck has long since
> been melted down into
> razor blades.  I'm sure not many of these were made.
>  I'm going to try and
> talk him into letting me scan it and send it along
> to someone who can post
> it.  Maybe if I stop in and leave my TF truck parked
> there for a while some
> day next summer.
>
> What I'm looking for is some speculation on who
> could have made the truck,
> how common they were, and if any still exist?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bruce Kettunen
> '57 3100
> Mt. Iron, MN
>

> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Do You Yahoo!?