Re: [oletrucks] Gen. - Alt. / Points to electronic

To: <Passnb4U@aol.com>, <ADvent@thuntek.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gen. - Alt. / Points to electronic
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:24:30 -0800
Hi Mike,

Well, I don't mean to be preachy about any of this.  It's a free country,
and you should do what makes you happy.  I was just talking to Jim Forbes
about putting a 454 in my orphan '55 1st (but only because it's a basket
case being revived.)  And when you get all your changes made, I'll drive up
there and wear you out admiring them.

But for me, a major part of the fun of having an old truck is having an OLD
truck.  I like my stock '54 with all (well... most) of its deficiencies and
idiosyncrasies.  If I didn't like doing little jobs like changing points, I
wouldn't have it.   Actually, it will be several years until changing points
is the most taxing thing I have to do to it.

The point of my original message was to gently suggest that HEI is not the
only way to go in improving the stock ignition, that the Mallory Dual Point
is out there and works great, and that, if such things interest you, it is
perhaps more appropriate to the period.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net