Re: [oletrucks] rewiring job

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] rewiring job
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 09:47:02 -0800
Was Stock started with a cap for a reason?  If so, check out
http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/.  Y n Zs harnesses are the best stock
harnesses I've seen to date.  They are good about exact reproductions or
modifying it per your instructions.  I believe everything is modern wire
(plastic coated), wrapped in cloth in original colors for the stock
appearance and then dipped in lacquer to protect the cloth (the web site
should tell you).  Good stuff, however expect to pay for it.  I'm sure there
are other vendors out there that sell a cloth covered harness of high
quality.

I used a harness from Chevy Duty in my 50 restoration project.  Although
mainly stock (lengths, connectors, etc.), it is plastic coated wire and
looks awful on a stock restoration.  Mistake....given the stock look I was
looking for.  However, I was able to cover most of it in black, cloth
electrical tape for an ok look.  Given the time it took to rewire things, it
would have been worth the extra $300 to get a stock looking harness with the
appropriate modifications.  Oh, well it's all part of learning and will make
a nice winter project to rewire things back to stock.

Oh, and the stock harness, used with good original parts in working order
(like the breaker on the headlight switch) should work fine.  However, if
you're running extra stuff, or not worried about a stock look, then a kit
mentioned below may be appropriate.  Have fun!

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100