Re: [oletrucks] Identify This Transmission

To: Banjomike@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Identify This Transmission
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 00:44:01 EST
In a message dated 2/2/00 8:36:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, Banjomike@aol.com
writes:

> Hey Everybody
>
>  Its me again, still trying to identify this #$%^ automatic transmission.
The

>  problem is that when I bought it I was told it was a 350.  Since it
doesn't
>  have a manual kick down, the dealer says it is a 400 because 350's don't
> have
>  electric kick downs-- but he couldn't find it in the book, nor could he
find

>  the gasket that might help identify.  However a transmission "expert" said
>  that it could be a later model 350 with an electric kickdown.   This is
the
>  number:
>
>   CFD 4   8624486.
>
>  If there is anybody out there who could easily look this up and tell me
what

>  it is, I would be truly, eternally grateful.  The main reason I'm
concerned
>  is because I already bought a torque converter for a 350, and I don't
think
>  it works with a 400, or other type for that matter, so I don't want to
>  install it til I know for sure.   I never thought this would be that
tough.

>  Help!!
>
>  Mike Gleeson
>  '55 long bed

  All's not lost Bill,

  If you have a TH350 convertor, it'll go on the TH400, provides about an
additional 300-500 rpms of stall, hardly noticable, if you're concerned with
the extra slippage generating heat, use an external cooler.

  Now for identifying it, try running it by an AAMCO or other tranny
chainstore.

  If you send an email to a "cosmicfrog@aol.com" I recall he posted a scanned
pic of all tranny pans, GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.  He'd probably send it to
you as well.

  I don't know him, other than a few chats a year or two back.

  Mike