Re: [oletrucks] Identify This Transmission

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>, Banjo Mike <Banjomike@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Identify This Transmission
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:03:27 -0700
Mike--  I thought I already answered this one...didn't you get the
message?  Or maybe I didn't send it?

It sounds like a SuperTurbine 300, which is a 2 speed tranny, kind of
cross between a powerglide and a TH350.  There should be a cover on the
rear drivers side, held on by three bolts...and the pan is like a square
with both back corners cut off.  This tranny was made from 1964-69, so
it's considered obsolete, and harder to get parts for.  It was used in
Buick, Olds and Pontiac mid size cars, and not in Chevys (Chevy had the
powerglide instead).

The torque converter will swap with a TH 350 or 400, EXCEPT if you have
the variable pitch model...that one has a different looking input shaft,
the outer shaft (stator support) has short splines (about 1/2" long vs.
normal 1.25"), and a smooth area on it.  If you have this variable pitch
tranny, circa 1964-67, you may have trouble finding a converter for it.

You ought to ditch this tranny and get a TH350....having the extra gear
is nice, and having a tranny that any shop can rebuild is nice also.

Jim

--------------------------
You wrote:
Hey Everybody

Its me again, still trying to identify this #$%^ automatic transmission.
The
problem is that when I bought it I was told it was a 350.  Since it
doesn't
have a manual kick down, the dealer says it is a 400 because 350's don't
have
electric kick downs-- but he couldn't find it in the book, nor could he
find
the gasket that might help identify.  However a transmission "expert"
said
that it could be a later model 350 with an electric kickdown.   This is
the
number:

 CFD 4   8624486.

If there is anybody out there who could easily look this up and tell me
what
it is, I would be truly, eternally grateful.  The main reason I'm
concerned
is because I already bought a torque converter for a 350, and I don't
think
it works with a 400, or other type for that matter, so I don't want to
install it til I know for sure.   I never thought this would be that
tough.
Help!!

Mike Gleeson