[oletrucks] Vin decoder dribble

To: <73-87ChevyTrucks@onelist.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Vin decoder dribble
From: "American Classic" <americanclassic@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:37:09 -0600

Hello everybody.

Here is a brief piece that has something to do with trucks.
No sex, no whining about being taken off a list, no adverts at the end from
me and no help from the snowman in the Adirondacks.

It is a view from the goldfish bowl looking out.

We were continually getting requests for information on Vin numbers and
Color codes.
So about a year ago I put a decoder on our site (sorry can't advertise which
one).
In an effort to keep it simple we shot ourselves in the foot. we tried to
let you put just one number in one place and the magic computer who show all
the answers.
Alas the computer only does what it is told by GM and over the years some of
that information got interpreted differently.
Most of our the information was taken from GM master books but some was from
other reference books.
Not only did GM change the layout of the VIN number over the years but they
also invented different ones for Canada, South Africa, Australia and so on.
And then the is the fact that Chevy and GMC have different id standards.
On top of all this there is also a gray area between Vehicle and Model
identification which GM flip flops between. (This confusion is shown in the
yellow CP book for the 67-72 years. GM copies/steals/infringes copyright on
these pages when they copy them and them put them in their "restoration
pack" to you).

Still more problems arise when the States start making up numbers ad hoc,
and printing out Titles with this random "vin" number on it .

The L*C catalog is an excellent source for illustrations and we recommend
that all our clients get one for this, and then buy parts from us.
Their information on the VIN numbers is taken from the GM master parts books
also.

Back to the drawing board with our Web VIN decoder. We are rewriting it and
are going to split it down and down into smaller segments.
No longer will you be able to put in one number and hope it comes back with
your information.
You are going to have to know to up front what year range your truck is or
what country it came from.

We also shot over selves in the other foot by dabbling with the color code
information.
Now I get even more emails a day.
Please be patient we are working as fast as we can.
I've spent hours and hundreds or dollars on B**Y buying up Paint chip cards.
Hopefully in the months to come we can help with those questions also.
Remember please that Rinshed, Mason, Nason, PPG, Per-Max, Martin, Senour,
Arco, Mobil. etc  did not all use the same sheet music numbers either.

Ok I've provided you with a few hours entertainment, so I'll end here and
get back to less serious work.

All the best

The Classic..Man