Re: [oletrucks] Re: bolting up a mid 70 suspension

To: "Peters, Jon C" <jpeters@sikorsky.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: bolting up a mid 70 suspension
From: "joe" <chevy1@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:40:06 -0800
Thanks for the Article Jon,

That article had me wondering if I had in fact read it or was dreaming.

I didn't like the idea of getting a lower ride height by cutting the coil
springs because that always leads to a harsher ride and a return visit from
the customer.  I'm one for replacing the springs with a softer set that
makes the Sunday drives more of a pleasure.

When I install "Mustang II units" and the customer want's a slightly lower
stance without investing in dropped spindles, I raising the suspension
Crossmember up into the frame by notching the lower frame to lower the ride
height.  I think a modification like that would get the ride height you want
without having to replace the springs.  What do you think?

The tires seemed to extend past the fenders openings in the article.  Did
you have that problem on your conversion too.  I think an offset rim would
allow more tire to fender clearance and a lower ride height.

Because of the wider track width of the subframes, lately we've been
narrowing the Crossmember and centerlink to decrease the width and provide
more tire clearance.  Did you happen to do that on your installation.

Was their a slight modification required to the bumper bracket to clear the
steering box?

I like the fact that only two Borgeson U-joints are required for the
installation.  You can probably use the original steering shaft by drilling
out the plastic pins and adjusting the shaft to the desired length.

To date I think this is the least time consuming and most affordable method
of gaining independent front suspension, disc brakes, power steering and an
1 1/8" sway bar.   I guess I'm going shopping for a truck suspension for my
next conversion.

Joe
Chevy1
Http://chevy1.freeservers.com