Fwd: [oletrucks] Mig Welder For Patch Panels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: [oletrucks] Mig Welder For Patch Panels
From: CyrusR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 22:47:08 EST
--part1_2.114a6e2.25e20f3c_boundary

In a message dated 2/19/00 9:18:21 PM Central Standard Time,
ross-piercey@home.com writes:

> My question is do I cut out the old corners and cowls exactly the same
>  shape as the new ones or do I leave enough to do a lap weld, I'm not as
>  much a body man as I am a certified mig welder any suggestions
>  appreciated.
>
>  Ross 51 Chevy 3/4 Lb
>  oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and 1959

Ross,
I've done it both ways, but I was most pleased when I butt welded the new
metal in.  The lap joint just leaves more area to deal with, more possible
areas for rust to start again, and of course it looks bad on the back side,
if that makes any difference (if you can see it).  I'd definitely butt weld
it.

Randy Underwood, CyrusR@aol.com
Northwest Arkansas
'57 Chevy 1/2 ton, Wraparound back glass, V-8, auto, power steering, in
pieces on the floor!

--part1_2.114a6e2.25e20f3c_boundary