Re: [oletrucks] Mig Welder For Patch Panels

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Mig Welder For Patch Panels
From: B&A Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:45:04 -0600 (CST)
The easiest way to do it, especially if you can't see the back side, is to
cut the old metal about 1/2" in from the outside of the patch panel.
Eastwood and others sell a flanging tool made from a vise grip that will
offset that 1/2" overlap so that the patch panel lays flush on top of it.
Then you have a lap weld in place of a butt weld, and even I can do that
<G>.

Northern Hydraulics even sells a pneumatic flanger for this, lots easier.

Around here  we can get some real powerful magnets that hold the panels
together while welding.  You can also use some special clips that look like
pop rivets on steroids and patch the holes later, or use pop rivets if you
can keep them from melting.

You still have to stitch the weld together to keep the metal from warping.

Bruce Kettunen
'57 3100