RE: [oletrucks] non-vented gas cap/tank

To: "Allen Coblentz" <wac8019@erinet.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] non-vented gas cap/tank
From: "Tibbers" <tibbers@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:20:12 -0800
Allen,

I have not done any analysis which would support my opinion, but I gotta
tell ya, it would be hard for me to imagine an oletruck fuel pump (and
connecting hoses, etc.) that would pull vacuum on a fuel tank to cause
failure.  If the material were thin, (it ain't) I could imagine at MOST some
"oil canning" but certainly nothing enough to crush a tank.  It would take
serious vacuum to make that happen, and I suspect that something else in the
system would fail before that tank.  That does NOT however say that you
should not get a vented cap.  You should.  I just don't think your tank is
in any immediate danger until you get it switched out.

Gordon