[oletrucks] 49 test drive

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 49 test drive
From: Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 09:47:25 -0500
First, if anyone has been trying to reach me, my computer crashed the
last week of January and I am just now getting back up and running. If
you need or needed me, please contact me off list.
Second, and most important, is that after 2 years and one month, my 49
is back on the road! Road tests started off slow, with drives around the
neighborhood, and have progressively gotten farther out, including a 168
mile round trip yesterday afternoon! Since the time changed, I have
taken off early every day this week and put it through its paces, and in
a weeks time have put a little over 500 miles on it with only a couple
of glitches (see below).
The truck is stock except for Patricks 3.55 rear, PVC wiring, an upgrade
to 12 volts, and a set of Firestone LT215 85R16's (they look very close
to stock). I can tell already that I will be upgrading to front disc
brakes (6 lug), a dual M/C, and probably a sway bar and steering
stabilizer, but other than that I am VERY happy with what I ended up
with (I had never driven an AD until now).
Anyway, after this weeks activities, I was wondering if anyone could
help with the following:

1) The truck has overheated 3 times ....................... not a steam
spewing overheat, but a loss of fluid overheat. I seem to be loosing a
LOT of water through the run off hose by the cap. I fill it up and it
will last for a while, then do it again (stock, re-cored radiator, new
water pump and thermostat). Any ideas?
2) At least once per trip, the tranny (stock, 3 on the tree) will jump
out of gear. I remember seeing something about this on the list but cant
remember what causes it or how to fix it.
3) As stated earlier, I am interested in a sway bar and a steering
stabilizer. I have seen these in the parts catalogs, but have never
talked to anyone who has used them. Any feedback?

I apologize for rambling on, but at the moment I cant seem to contain
myself. I'm sure that before I'm finished (still have the bed to go), I
will again be asking the list for help. I would like to sincerely thank
each and every one of you who either knowingly or unknowingly, directly
or indirectly contributed to the success this project, and would like to
say that I never could have done it without all of ya'lls help. Thank
you all very, very much.
Brad Newman
Coppell, Texas