[oletrucks] Horn relay

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Horn relay
From: "Ole Trucks" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:52:03 EDT
Well I know this is a learning experience so here is my new - "gosh everyone
should know that one" question.  What is a horn relay and what will it do?
Is it needed for a 6 volt system?  Can I test a horn without one?

Looking at the wiring diagram for my 46 the wires do not go through a relay.
  It is not on the chart at all.  Is this something for newer 12 volt trucks
(with 2 horns) or am I missing something?

I have a horn in the truck that is not working and I tried to pass power
directly from the battery to it with no results.

I have also tried to do this to 2 horns I have pulled from the junk yard.
For each of these I have grounded the horn body to the negitive side of the
battery and ran two wires from the positive to the horn terminals.  I can
use a testing light and see that the circut is open but I get no sound.

Can I purchase a 12 volt horn and use it with my 6 volt battery?

Has anyone a source for a 6 volt (orginal) horn?

BTW - at the CT swap meet the Jim Carter people told me that the used parts
department should be opened within the next 2 weeks.  I have goten this same
answer for this question for the past 3 months....

Thanks
Jim House