[oletrucks] Horn RElay

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Horn RElay
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:21:10 -0700
Jim--

I don't know how a 46 works, but in general a horn relay is used because
the horn button just works to ground one wire.  But, the horn is also
grounded to the body, so to get power to the horn when you push the
button, you need a relay to switch on the power when the horn button
wire is grounded.  I seem to recall that Chevy cars from the 30s used a
relay, and I'm quite sure that the early 50s Chevys (6 volt) used a
relay.

If you get a horn from a newer Chevy, it should work by connecting one
wire from the battery to the horn housing, and the other to the terminal
(should only be one terminal).  I don't know if a 12v horn will work
with only 6 volts...it should make noise, but may be weak(?)  If the
horns you got have two terminals on them, then probably one is positive,
the other negative, and the horn housing would not be connected.  I
think this setup is used on some types of vehicles, but not any of the
GMs I'm familiar with (50s-80s vintage).

Jim Forbes