[oletrucks] Show Quality Questions

To: "AAAOleTrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Show Quality Questions
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 06:55:40 -0500
I don't know if we have anyone here that knows, but if so, I would sure
appreciate the help..

I am at a crossroads where assembly is starting and my goal is to make this
a Show quality truck. Of course I want it to be the best there is and so I
have many questions. I wish we had a judge we could ask but I am certain
that most of you will know at least some of these questions..

1) Which is preferable to a judge and also to preserve and restore...
individually primering and painting every nut, bolt and washer painted in
its natural color, or zinc plating? I have all the small parts bead blasted
and can go either way. I have done some primering and painting of the small
parts, but not enough where I could change course. I DO feel very strongly
about preserving these small parts in some way.

2) There are certain parts that are confusing as far as color scheme.. for
example, the bell housing is painted with cast iron color (cast blast) but
the small access plate on the bell housing was made out of sheet metal so
wouldnt it be colored natural sheet metal color (same question for the bell
housing cover)? Also, the water pump is cast iron color (or is it the engine
gray) but the water pump pulley.. shouldnt that be black?

The last question is I have to wonder since I have never been to a antique
car show in competition is exactly how much does the judge know? I am sure
they are experts, but maybe not on particular models. Maybe these intricate
details are not all that important? Would be awful nice to be able to speak
with a judge. I know that I have seen the results of some of the smaller
shows where the public judges and what I have seen is very unfair.. the guy
with the fulton visors, spotlight, huge whitewalls, chrome all over the
place gets the win. Authenticity is what I am going for but I already know
that will be marked down in some competitions. Anyone knowing this info
please respond.

Thanks again!

Deve
50 3100