Re: [oletrucks] Happy Easter All

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Happy Easter All
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 15:41:29 -0700
I'm using this tire size on original 16" truck wheels.  Just be sure and
paint them before mounting the radials (and don't use car wheels or the
probability of the wheel splitting will increase).  A couple of the wheels I
used were a little pitted, but so far (several months), I haven't had to add
any air.  As far as looks go, they looks pretty close to stock to me.  Note
that these are 75s, not the typical 80s or 85s, so they are very tall and
skinny.  No beers here......  Also, I think the beauty rings add a real nice
touch (and are readily available).  They sure screw up nice paint though....

Radios are still out there, although not like belly buttons, however they
are pricey.  I found a nonworking one for $50 and restored it myself
(changed all the tubes, resistors, caps, vibrator, etc. refaced the front -
it even worked the first time I fired it up!).  There are a couple of
Chevrolet brands I've seen for '47 to '53 (US vs. Canada), and I've seen one
aftermarket brand that was sold in the 50s that appears to be of better
quality but has a wild, big chrome faceplate (I think it looks yucky, but
some might get off on it).  Of the Chevrolet brand, the 1953 model appears
to be the simplest internal design (as they all have a similar faceplate
design that I've seen).  Installation manuals, circuit diagrams, and
calibration stuff is also readily available for all models of radios.  Oh,
as an aside, if you don't want to drill a hole for the antenna, running
board antennas are still out there but are very pricey (and don't work as
well as a cab mounted one).

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100