Re: [oletrucks] Shop Questions

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Shop Questions
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 09:54:32 -0700
>When the air gets too thick to see, I
>normally just open the garage door. Problem is, we have lotsa wind here in
>Kansas and between that and the humidity, I wont be wanting to open doors
>for the epoxy and urethane coats.

Hi Deve,

Here in Los Angeles, we tend to get the wind in the late morning to
afternoon, as the desert heats up and sucks air from the cooler areas.  This
means that the early mornings are still pretty calm, and a good time to
shoot paint.  I get everything ready the night before, then hose the
surroundings down in the morning to keep the dust on the ground, wipe the
part with cleaner, mix the paint and go.

If you have calmer mornings, you might want to try this.  Sure would beat
buying a bunch of specialized fans and cutting holes in your walls.
Remember that if you are priming, a little dust in the top layer will sand
off.  Same thing with the top coat if you're going to color sand.  I'm
talking about little pieces that fall as the paint is drying, not big chunks
that are gusting up as you shoot the paint.

The other solution would be to rent a paint booth.  There are several auto
painters near me that will rent their booths by the hour, half day or day at
reasonable rates.  Probably buy a lot of paint time for what one of those
fans would cost.

Regards,

Grant S.