RE: [oletrucks] the need for speed

To: Steve Parham <thebttmline@yahoo.com>, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] the need for speed
From: Jack Halton <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 15:44:23 -0400 (EDT)
I have been using overdrive transmissions for years and they have a big
advantage in that you can keep the 3.90 for torque but drop to 2.73 on the
highway when cruising with no load.

The 5 and 6 speed trannies common today have up to .50 top gear for which we
can probably thank EPA/CAFE/OPEC so the net result is the same or better, but
these trannies are rather costly in most cases and present some problems in
adapting to old trucks.

The Borg-Warner and Saginaw overdrives from the 50's and 60's are relatively
inexpensive, adapt pretty easily to the truck drivetrains, and are what I call
a "true" overdrive in that they use a solenoid-engaged planetary gearset, a
free wheeling clutch, speed governor to prevent damage from engaging at too low
a speed, and a kickdown for passing. The nice little extras with these units
are clutchless shifting and free wheeling.

Downside to this type of OD is that they are pretty much swap meet items these
days and parts can be tough to find.

www.Chevytrucks.org has a HRM '75 reprint discussing the Saginaw OD 4-speed
conversion. This is what I use in my old truck and I highly recommend it.