Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!

To: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Welding Help Needed!
From: "Marlene Rzepkowski" <mrzepkow@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 21:32:50 -0400
Deve,
You've been given great advice so far on how to do it better next time, this
note tries a little twist on how to save it this time without a total re-do.

First, warping is caused because the molecules in the metal expand on one
side (The top side where you were welding)  more than on the other and don't
get reassembled back into their original place as they slowly cool.  To
counteract the "set" that the steel has taken, you can apply some heat from
the back side of the original weld if you can get at the back side.  If you
can only get at the top side, then try the following.

  If you have an Oxy-Acetylene torch (I suppose a propane torch could also
be used but I have no experience with propane for what follows)  you can
heat  a small spot, then quench with cold water and the steel on the top
will suddenly cool quicker than the steel below giving you the opposite
direction of warp from the slowly cooled weld joint.  Do this in small
spots, almost like tack welding, no more than an inch at a time.  I use a
Rag dipped in cold water and still dripping profusely to quench the hot spot
I create.  This also works for tightening up sheet metal in places that tend
to "oil can".  You can heat the bulge, quench it to shrink the top side
metal and "tighten up" an area that is "oil canning".

The suggestion of using cold air to cool a weld as you go is very similar to
this.  If the weld spot is cooled with air right after the weld is completed
you can better equalize top and bottom cooling and end up with less warping.
Try these techniques on a scrap piece to see the effects.  Heat is a pretty
amazing force in dealing with sheet metal!  Good Luck.

Dick,
1959 1 ton Apache - "Chief"