Re: [oletrucks] Brakes

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Brakes
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 21:37:14 -0500
Grant,

Here's my $.02:

In the olden days we would "arc the shoes" to make the shoes the same radius
as the newly turned drums.  This would involve removeing some of the
(asbestos) brake lining so that the outer radius of the shoe matched the
inner radius of the drums.

I believe that no one does this anymore(?). But could the shoes be oversize
n.o.s. that were designed for arcing?  Could you carefully remove a bit of
shoe lining for a fit?  In the days before asbestos was outlawed the removal
of lining was justified by faster "seating" of the shoe against the drum.

My thoughts anyway.

Michael Lubitz
(512) 306-1681