RE: [oletrucks] AD hood body work

To: "Steve Murray" <smurray@ocii.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] AD hood body work
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@fastrus.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:52:10 -0400
<<snip>>
Has anyone successfully filled the seam that runs down the center of a
advance design hood?  <<snip>>

Place the hood on a jig.  2x4's nailed into several "T"'s will allow the
hood to sit with even weight distribution across the sheet metal.  Don't
support the hood by the sides or edges.  A frame with these "T" uprights
bolted onto a sturdy sawhorse allows the hood to be low and angled so you
have a good reachable work surface.  Make individual spot welds the length
of the seam about 2 ft apart, then again splitting that difference, and
again with the end result being spots approximately 3 inches apart.  I've
seen it done with the row of spots actually filling the entire seam
eventually, but I've had good luck with stopping at about 3 inches.  It
allows some flex in the hood and prevents cracking, in my opinion.  Use very
low heat with wet canvass placed around each spot site to absorb excess
heat.  Make each spot well away from the last one to allow good cooling of
the previous weld.  Slowly is the ticket here.  The metal used in these old
hoods transfers heat in a weird way sometimes, and you might get a warp at
the front while you're working on the rear edge.  Be very patient.

Once the row of spot welds is complete, grind them smooth and add several
"thin" layers of fiberglass over the entire seam.  Use standard bodywork
techniques --"THIN"-- for final finish, and with any luck, the end result
will be "awesome".

Kevin P.