[oletrucks] more rambling about auctions...

Subject: [oletrucks] more rambling about auctions...
From: WILHELM GORDON <gvwilhelm@home.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 12:38:17 -0600
"Edward T. Dingo" <cen36932@centuryinter.net> wrote:

"Checked out an auction this morning. Went specifically to see
"sandblasting equipment" listed in ad. Thought I might find something
good, inexpensive, to use on son's compressor. Nothing there remotely
resembled anything to do with sandblasting. Except the driveway; all
sand.
  BUT!!! There was a 1960 Chevy, 1/2 ton, stepside shorty, to be
auctioned off..."

This is exactly how I found my 1951 GMC 1/2 ton.  I went to check out
some welding equipment that was advertised as part of a heavy equipment
auction.  I didn't find a welder that I wanted but there, amongst the
road graders and bulldozers was one little old truck.  The auction was
well attended but those guys were there to buy HEAVY EQUIPMENT and had
little interest in the '51.  As a result I was able to purchase (at a
most reasonable price!) an essentially rust free, running, original
condition 2 owner stepside complete with the optional rear bumper,
exterior visor, sidemounted spare tire, all chrome and working gauges!
There was only one other person who was bidding and I was able to drive
it home.  This was pure luck on my part but I guess the moral of the
story is go see what isn't listed at the auction!!

gvwilhelm@home.com