[oletrucks] Overheats at idle

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Overheats at idle
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:24:28 -0400
I use the advance until it pings under load and then back off until it
doesn't
method of timing. I  didn't know this could result in overheating. This
is the
method California Bill, among others recommends for best performance.
Also the
easiest for me as my 11 inch 62 flywheel has no steel ball for timing.

Thanks, Grant

Kyle & Krista wrote:

> Your timing could be too advanced and cause the engine to run hot at
idle.
> Happens to VW air-cooled engines all the time.  Static timing is the
most
> accurate but using a strobe gun is ok too if you can see the little
ball
> bearing on the flywheel.
>
> Kyle C.
> '55-1
>
> Grant Galbraith wrote:
>
> > Rebuilt engine, recored radiator, new water pump and 160 thermostat.

> > dosen't boil over but starts to peg the gage. I have so far managed
to shut
> > it down before it boils over.
> >
> > Gordon Groves wrote:
> >
> > > I would check your cooling system before you go too far with re
> > > engineering the fan , I also have a '56 235 in my '51 1/2 ton and
even
> > > in sunny Tucson AZ it doesn't overheat , even with air temps over
100
> > > deg. It gets hot all right and even after parking for a few hours
it
> > > will still be 180 deg. at start up but I haven't had any boiling
or
> > > anything like that . Just a thought.
> > >
> > > Gordon Groves
> > > '51 chevy half ton
> > > '54 IHC Travelall
> > >
> > > oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built between 1941 and

1959