[oletrucks] New guy, Straight axel.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] New guy, Straight axel.
From: "A.B." <bigfred@unm.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:22:00 -0600 (MDT)
Hi all,
I just joined up.  Thought I would say hello.  I currently own a '53
Custom Cab 1/2 ton and I am hoping to learn something from you
all.  Judging from the emails I have been receiving, this is a pretty
active list, and this is a good thing 'cause I need all the help I can
get.  I own a few old cars, old motorscooters (ok, stop laughing), and I
have previously owned old motorcycles (I now only have newer bikes).  My
'53 is my only truck, though I used to own a '60 1/2 ton.  I bought my '53
in very good condition, someone had done a pretty crappy paint job, but
there is almost no rust on the body.  It runs good, drives ok, and I plan
on making it my daily driver.  I hope to put in a 327 (just because that
is what I have) with a TH400, and maybe a later style rear end.  I also
want to make this truck a good long distance hauler because I race
motorcycles and tracks are few and far between where I live (Albuquerque,
New Mexico).  Anyway... Here is my 1st question.
        I followed the last tread about modern straight axels with great
interest, because I have been debating changing out the front end.  I
don't plan on cutting up the truck, but was planning on using something
like a pacer or an aftermarket front end.  Mostly, I want a good handling
ride and good brakes.  My truck likes to wander, the way it is set up now
(dropped straight axel) and the brakes kinda suck.  I definitely want disk
brakes... Having said all that, I am wondering if it is taboo to switch
out the front suspension... I am starting to get that feeling, the more
research I do.
-alfredo barrenechea (alfie)