RE: [oletrucks] VIN # ?

To: "'oletrucks@autox.team.net'" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] VIN # ?
From: "Nelson, Jeff - DTC" <jnelson@paducah.k12.ky.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:59:15 -0500
VINs (vehicle identification numbers) were developed by the federal
govenment as a standard way of uniquely identifying vehicles in this
country. I'm not sure when this went into effect as a DOT regulation (late
50s or early 60s). Since that time, state DMVs use the VIN for titling all
vehicles. Prior to that time, states used different numbers. In some cases
they would use the engine serial number and in other cases they would use
manufacturer's vehicle identification numbers.

Your VIN# is whatever is on your current title. If the number on the title
does not match what you gave below, then they may have used the engine
serial number. This can become problematical if the engine has been swapped
out since the vehicle was titled.

By the way, the vehicle ID you give works out as:

H = 3100 (1/2 t)
O = Oakland assembly plant
01517 = 516th vehicle off of the assembly line (unit numbers began with
01001)

I got this breakdown from Don Moen's Serial Number page at
http://www.chevytrucks.org/users/rusty1/numbers.htm

Jeff Nelson
1953 3600
Paducah, KY