[oletrucks] Long trips

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Long trips
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 20:13:15 -0700
I took a couple trips in my 59 back in the late 70s, when it still had
the 235 in it.  The speed limit was 55 at the time (remember?)  I think
we kept it to 55-60 most of the time, although it would go 75 flat out.
Of course the truck worked just fine, although I recall I may have had
to fix something along the way...which we considered normal, and of
course parts for not-so-old trucks were easy to find back then.

I've taken many trips in my older vehicles since then, though they all
have bigger, slightly more modern engines in them.  I prefer a bigger
engine and lazy rearend gears, but a 235 and 3.90 gears will get you
there, just not quite as quickly.  Either way, don't worry about the gas
mileage, because you're not paying for depreciation on that ole truck,
like you would with a newer vehicle!

Jim F
59s in AZ